The mission of the Morton Public Library District is to support life-long independent learning and to encourage the joy of reading for all ages.
Library service in the Village of Morton began in 1922 when the Semper Fidelis club of Morton Community Church organized donations and volunteers for a library. In 1925, the library became tax supported and the first library board was elected.
The current library building was designed by architect Don Westlake and constructed by Diversified Buildings, Inc. The original 9,500 sq. ft. building opened in 1982. In 1998, a 9,700 sq. ft. addition was completed. Many areas in the library are dedicated to donors who contributed to the Building Foundation. Additional funding included a Live & Learn construction grant from the Secretary of State.
Governed by an elected board of seven trustees, the library serves residents of Morton and is a member of Reaching Across Illinois Library System (R.A.I.L.S.).
The library offers a wide variety of books, e-Books, e-Audiobooks, videos, DVDs, CDs, books on CD and tape, magazines, newspapers, online databases, Playaways (portable audiobooks) and Playaway Views® (all-in-one video players).
Our Library Support...
We value the support we receive from the community. If you would like to support the Morton Public Library, here are some suggestions:
- Shop at The Old Book Nook Corner - Our ongoing booksale located next to the circulation desk.
- Material Donations - We appreciate any donations you are able to give to the library. We accept materials in good condition that are gently used. Books, Paperbacks, CDs, DVDs, Videos and Specialty Magazines are accepted.
- Gift and Memorial Donations - Celebrate a birthday or anniversary, remember a loved one, or simply say thank you. These donations enrich the lives of those who use the library and is a lasting and thoughtful way to honor or celebrate a loved one or special person. Please mail or drop off your donation at 315 W. Pershing, Morton, IL 61550. Or make your donation using our convenient E-Pay method. This is a secure, online method using your credit card.
- Contribute to our Library Fund through The Morton Community Foundation.
- Give to the Morton Library's Book Foundation or Building Foundation - forms available at the library.
- Volunteer Opportunities - Contact the library for more information.
Click here to see what popular children's author Mo Willems has to say about public libraries.