February 14th is a day devoted to love. So why not take the time to discover graphic novels and fall in love with the wonderful illustrations and fun format? Here are a few of our favorites to get you started:
- Hinds, Gareth. The Odyssey. YA HIN (GRAPHICNVL) – This is a graphic novel adaptation of the classic epic story originally by Homer. It is exciting to see the journey and struggles of Odysseus jump off the page.
- Telgemeier, Raina. Smile. YA TEL (GRAPHICNVL) – As a middle school student, Raina trips and falls, knocking out her two front teeth. This is a graphic novel about the author’s own experiences. Not only does she have to deal with the normal uncertainties that come with being a teenager but she must endure surgeries and false teeth as well.
- Dembicki, Matt. Trickster. YA 398.2 TRI (GRAPHICNVL) – Various Native American folktales come to life in Trickster. Storytellers were matched with different artists in order to create this collection.
- Renier, Aaron. The Unsinkable Walker Bean. YA REN (GRAPHICNVL) - Quiet, geeky Walker Bean enjoys helping out in his grandfather’s workshop of inventions. But when his grandfather returns from a trip with a cursed skull he gets caught up in adventures that put him directly in the path of pirates and sea witches.
- Siddell, Thomas. Gunnerkrigg Court. YA SID (GRAPHICNVL) – Antinomy Carver starts her first year at the boarding school Gunnerkrigg Court where things are very mysterious. She and her friend Kat make many strange discoveries and have some unexpected experiences as they begin to unravel some of its mysteries.
- Mori, Kaoru. Emma. YA MOR (GRAPHICNVL) – Set in the Victorian Era, this follows the story of Emma, a young maid who falls in love with a man whose social status is much higher than her own.
- Butler, Janet. Pride and Prejudice. YA BUT (GRAPHICNVL) – This is an adaptation of Jane Austen’s much loved classic.
- Hale, Shannon. Rapunzel’s Revenge. YA HAL (GRAPHICNVL) – From the author of Goose Girl and The Princess Academy, this is a very creative retelling of the Rapunzel fairytale with detailed artwork by Nathan Hale.
- Shiga, Jason. Meanwhile. YA SHI (GRAPHICNVL) – If you enjoyed the Choose-your-own-adventure books then this complex graphic novel will be fun to try out. Your first choice is chocolate or vanilla ice cream but soon you will be making decisions that have a lot more impact than what flavor you want. In order to find out what page to turn to next you follow the thin, color coded tubes in the pictures. The front cover boasts “3,856 possibilities.”
- Lee, Tony. Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood. YA LEE (GRAPHICNVL) – Enjoy the adventures of Robin Hood all over again, complete with colorful artwork.
- Gulledge, Laura Lee. Page by Paige. YA GUL (GRAPHICNVL) – When sixteen year old Paige Turner moves to Brooklyn from her home in Virginia she doesn’t know anyone. So she put more emphasis on the thing she loves most: art. The pages of her sketchbook start to fill up. As she connects with people her age who also have a love for art we get to see her thoughts and feelings drawn out on the page.