The official theme for Teen Tech Week earlier this month was "Geek Out @ Your Library." Here are some fun ways that you can 'geek out' at MPL, whether it's in the building at 315 W. Pershing or through our website:
- Freegal Music - This is a cool new service that the library has just started to subscribe to. Log in with your library card # and PIN to download free music. You can download three songs a week and keep them permanently. The catalog has thousands of songs by popular artists like Adele, John Mayer, Kelly Clarkson, The Fray, Carry Underwood and many more.
- Playaways - A playaway is a book that is preloaded on its own individual MP3 player. All you have to do is plug in your headphones (or buy earbuds here for 50¢) and press play. Enjoy titles like Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, Dicey’s Song by Cynthia Voight, The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and Call of the Wild by Jack London. (Also, don’t forget that we also have a good selection of Young Adult books on CD located at the end of the New Young Adult books).
- Alliance Digital Media Library (ADML) – This is a great way to read or listen to the books you want. If you have a Nook, Kindle, iPod, MP3 player or other various devices you can use your library card to download books to read or listen to. They check out for two weeks and are automatically returned after that time. The collection is growing regularly and there are plenty of teen titles to spark your interest.
- eReaders - Did you know that the library has a Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader and iPad that you can come in and look at? A librarian can explain the pros and cons of each and you can try them out in the library to see which you like the feel of best.
- Wi-Fi – Come into the library and enjoy our free Wi-Fi! Stop at the Help Desk for hot chocolate, coffee, or tea ($1 each) and then head over to the booth or table in the Young Adult section.
- Wii – With Spring Break coming up in April don’t forget that you can make an appointment to come in and play the Wii here at the library. Invite a couple of friends for an hour of fun.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.