'Tis the season for reading! If you like to fill your holiday wish list with books, come into the library and check out some of the popular young adult series. Here's some to get you started:
- Clare, Cassandra. Mortal Instruments Series. YA CLA – A Shadowhunter is someone who battles the demons that most people don’t even see. Clary Fray is a fifteen year old who seems to stumble upon this supernatural part of the world. Then she realizes that she can see things that most people simply can’t and mysterious aspects of her life begin to unfold. The fifth book in this series will come out in May 2012.
1. City of Bones
2. City of Ashes
3. City of Glass
4. City of Fallen Angels
5. City of Lost Souls
Also, check out her other series, Infernal Devices.
- Armstrong, Kelley. Darkness Rising Trilogy. YA ARM – Starting with The Gathering, this series takes place in the same supernatural turmoil as the Darkest Powers Trilogy. It introduces new characters with new paranormal abilities and the author keeps the adventures going. Look for the second book, The Calling, in April 2012.
- Collins, Suzanne. Hunger Games Trilogy. YA COL – Living in a future America that has been all but destroyed and then rebuilt with oppressive control, Katniss does all she can just to survive and support her mother and younger sister. The country is now split up into twelve districts that must each send two tributes a year to compete in the hunger games. Each participant is drawn out of a lottery, is younger than eighteen, and if they don’t win they don’t come back alive. Find out what happens when Katniss’s beloved younger sister, Prim, is picked as the female tribute from District 12.
1. Hunger Games
2. Catching Fire
- Flanagan, John. Ranger’s Apprentice. YA FLA – This is an eleven book series that follows the adventures of Will, a clever Ranger’s Apprentice and his best friend Horace, a brave knight in training. It is set in a medieval time period in a world similar to ours. Each book is filled with humor, friendship, bravery, and adventure with never a dull moment.
1. The Ruins of Gorlan
2. The Burning Bridge
3. The Icebound Land
4. The Battle for Skandia
5. The Sorcerer of the North
6. The Siege of Macindaw
7. Erak’s Ransom
8. The Kings of Clonmel
9. Halt’s Peril
10. The Emperor of Nihon-Ja
11. The Lost Stories
And don’t miss The Outcasts, the beginning of the new Brotherband Chronicles that is set in the same world as Ranger’s Apprentice.
- Pierce, Tamora. Beka Cooper Trilogy. YA PIE – In the Tortall Realms, a world completely separate from our own, lives Beka Cooper. As a child, Beka displayed extraordinary talent in law enforcement. Now, as a sixteen year old she’s a trainee in the Provost’s Guard and is working on her first assignment. With a lot of action and adventure Beka uses her wit and talent to fight against crime.
Other medieval fantasy series’ by Tamora Pierce include: Song of the Lioness Series, Circle of Magic Series, and Protector of the Small Series.
- Riordan, Rick. The Kane Chronicles. YA RIO – If you enjoy a lot of adventure and ancient Egyptian mythology, this is the series for you. Start with The Red Pyramid, where we meet Sadie, the daughter of a renowned Egyptologist. It’s Sadie’s brother Carter, though, who gets to travel with their father. Sadie rarely sees either of them until their father releases Egyptian gods during a trip to the British Museum and then disappears. Now Sadie and Carter have to work together to save their father. Book 2, The Throne of Fire, came out last May and book 3 will be published in spring of 2012. Rick Riordan has also written the Heroes of Olympus Series and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
- Stiefvater, Maggie. Wolves of Mercy Falls. YA STI – When Grace Brisbane was a child she was attacked by wolves and then saved by one of them. She watches the yellow-eyed wolf every winter. When she meets Sam in a book store one summer she can’t help but notice his yellow eyes. Grace doesn’t realize how connected she is with the wolves, but her life becomes more entwined with them in each book in the trilogy.
- Roth, Veronica. Divergent Series. YA ROT – Divergent is a dystopian novel that takes place in a future Chicago. When a person turns sixteen they must choose which faction, out of five, they will join for the rest of their lives. Tris Prior, whose family all belongs to the constrained Abnegation faction, makes a surprising decision to join Dauntless. She needs great courage and strength to survive this faction. She also has a dangerous secret that she needs to keep hidden. The second book in the series, Insurgent, will be published in May.
- Condie, Ally. Matched Trilogy. YA CON – In a future world, the society’s officials study statistics and choose who each person will marry when they come of age. When it’s Cassia’s turn to be matched she is paired with her best friend Xander. Everything makes sense until a computer glitch shows her another face to be matched with. His name is Ky and he’s not supposed to be matched with anyone. As a result, Cassia starts having a lot of doubts about her perfect life. What will she do? Find out in Matched and continue the story with Crossed, which just came out in November.
- Meyer, Stephenie. Twilight Saga. YA MEY – Vampires, werewolves, paranormal romance, movie tie-in. This series has been popular since Twilight hit the market five years ago. If you’ve already read all four you don’t have to stop there. Find the companion books: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide. Or come check out the Graphic Novel versions just for fun.
2. New Moon
4. Breaking Dawn